How UHS Works with Health Insurance

Column 1

Most currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus have relatively few expenses at UHS because their health service fee helps to fund costs​. 

However, students are responsible for paying costs not covered by the health service fee, so students should have health insurance. For details, see Free or Fees for Students and Why Students Should Have Health Insurance. If you need health insurance, consider the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan.

Do you find health insurance confusing? If so, please watch Health Insurance 101 Video for U-M students.

  • For some services, payment is expected at time of service. See Payment options.
  • Health insurance may help to cover costs, and UHS and/or Michigan Medicine will bill insurance.
  • Patients are responsible for paying insurance deductible, co-payments, co-insurance, or any other costs not covered by insurance.
  • If you don’t want your insurance to be billed, you may make payment arrangements with the UHS Patient Billing Office on the SAME DAY that your tests or services are ordered / performed. Payment must be made within 30 days.

Contact your insurance company to learn about coverage via the customer service number on the back of your card:

  • Ask about coverage before you accept services:
  • Ask: Is this (service or item) a covered benefit under your health insurance plan?
  • Ask: If so, would this (service or item) be covered at UHS (Tax ID 383422836), or is UHS out-of-network? If you have difficulty confirming coverage with your insurance company, call the UHS Patient Billing Office at 734-764-7380 or email [email protected] for assistance. 
  • Ask: If UHS is out-of-network, could you get an out-of-area waiver because you’re attending the university here? (Some insurance covers only emergency services while away from home and may require a referral from your primary care physician.)

You may be responsible to pay for services not covered or the balance after insurance payment, e.g. deductibles, co-payments or co-insurance.

  • Ask: What costs will insurance pay, and what costs would you be responsible for paying, e.g. a deductible, copays?

Contact the medical facility where you plan to get services to inquire about payment and billing. You may need to pay at the time of service. UHS will submit a claim to your insurance company, if appropriate. You would be responsible for paying any costs that insurance does not pay. 

Ask whether and how you can get reimbursed for costs.

See also Confidentiality and Concerned about Costs or Privacy?

  • U-M Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan
  • U-M International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan
  • GradCare members whose primary care site is UHS should visit UHS for all their health care needs. (Members who are currently enrolled students on the Ann Arbor campus have no co-payments for UHS clinic visits.) UHS is a Network 1 provider.
  • Premier Care/BCN members whose primary care site is UHS (at 207 Fletcher St in Ann Arbor) should visit UHS for all their health care needs. There are co-payments for visits. UHS is a Network 1 provider.
  • Michigan Care, a new U-M health insurance plan that will start 1/1/2021
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO: For this plan, UHS is included in the Michigan Medicine network. There are co-payments for visits.
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS): Some services at UHS are covered by BCBS. UHS will bill BCBS for covered services. 
  • U-M Comprehensive Major Medical: This plan is a Michigan Blue Cross Blue Shield plan. Some services at UHS are covered by BCBS. UHS will bill BCBS for covered services. 
  • Blue Cross Complete Healthy Michigan Medicaid:
    • ONLY for U-M students and their spouses/OQA/dependents
    • Please note that the UHS Pharmacy does not participate, and routine eye care services are not covered at UHS. 
    • In order for UHS to bill for insurance, your primary care provider (PCP) must be at UHS. You may change your PCP by calling Blue Cross Complete Customer Service at 800-228-8554.
      • If your primary care provider is not at UHS, you may be able to obtain a referral for services not normally provided at your primary care site. To request a referral, contact your PCP. Referrals must be obtained before services are received.
  • Medicare: Most services at UHS are billable to Medicare.

UHS will bill other insurance US plans except Medicaid (Blue Cross Complete Healthy Michigan Medicaid is an exception). It is ultimately the decision of your insurance company whether they will pay UHS. If we do not receive payment from your insurance company, UHS will bill you and you will be responsible for payment.

For prescription drug plans that UHS accepts, see Pharmacy.

UHS Prepaid Plan provides access to basic health care at UHS, similar to coverage provided to currently enrolled U-M students (Ann Arbor campus) through the health service fee. It is not an insurance plan. The Prepaid Plan is available to affiliated individuals or special groups. Services must be provided at UHS.

Alumni: As a service to its members, the U-M Alumni Association offers several types of insurance coverage.

See Frequently Asked Questions about Health Insurance and Billing for Students on the UM-Ann Arbor Campus

For eligibility to use UHS, fees, payment options, insurance billing and the UHS Prepaid Plan, contact the UHS Business Office

For insurance benefits through Domestic and International Student Health Insurance Plans, contact the UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office.

For information about GradCare and U-M Premier Care, see U-M Benefits Office or call 734-615-2000.

Column 2

students Standing