Emergency / After-Hours Care


About costs: Please keep in mind that students are responsible for payment for any medical care received outside of UHS, including urgent care facilities, emergency departments and ambulance services. These services are not covered by students' health service fee, even if ordered by a UHS clinician. When in doubt, students can call UHS for advice, day or night, at 734-764-8320. 

If you have a medical emergency:

CALL 911 or go directly to the nearest hospital emergency department. The nearest hospital emergency department to the U-M Ann Arbor campus is Michigan Medicine, located on the medical campus:

  • If you are age 21 or older, use the U-M Hospital Emergency Department located at 1500 E. Medical Center Drive in Ann Arbor, phone 734-936-6666.
  • If you are under age 21, use the Children's Emergency Services at Mott Children's Hospital, located at 1540 East Hospital Drive, Floor 2 in Ann Arbor. 
  • For other hospital emergency departments and urgent care clinics, see Urgent Care Clinics courtesy of the Ann Arbor Observer City Guide

If you have a mental health emergency:

  • Counseling and Psychological Services provides urgent walk-in counseling during open hours and after-hours support by phone: 734-764-8312 (press 0)
  • Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center provides crisis counseling day and night for survivors of sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, and intimate partner violence: 734-936-3333
  • U-M Psychiatric Emergency Service provides emergency walk-in consultation and phone service, day and night. Located at 1500 E. Medical Center Drive in Ann Arbor (on the medical campus). Call 734-936-5900.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is staffed by trained volunteers, day and night, for online chat, or call 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
  • National Crisis Text Line offers free 24/7 support at your fingertips. Text HOME to 741741 and a "live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds, all from our secure online platform. The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment." Other options available for U-M students include texting UMICH and students of color can text STEVE to 741741 for more specific help.
  • Trevor Project Lifeline for LGBTQ+ is staffed by trained volunteers, day and night, for online chat, text 678-678, or call 866-488-7386
  • Trans Lifeline is staffed by trained transgender volunteers. Call 877-565-8860
  • Or call 911 

If you have a dental emergency:

Call the U-M School of Dentistry at 734-763-6933.

    If you have a minor injury or illness (urgent):

    When UHS is open, call 734-764-8320, explain about your situation and ask for Nurse Advice. UHS can evaluate and treat minor illnesses and injuries, including some broken bones. Students who live in University Housing can request a ride to/from UHS from Housing Security by calling 734-763-1131. 

    When UHS is closed, you may want to:

    If you're not sure what to do:

    What Type of Health Care Do You Need? explains the difference between non-urgent, urgent and medical emergencies and provides examples.

    You can call UHS at 734-764-8320 for Nurse Advice, day or night. Nurses can advise about self-care or about deciding where to go for health care. 

    See also How to Get Health Care and note that UHS offers options for urgent health concerns.