Starting July 15, 2019, U-M students' personal health insurance will be billed for allergy injection fees. For more information, see Fees and Insurance on this page.
Eligibility for allergy shots at UHS:
- Currently enrolled U-M students and UHS Prepaid Plan members: You are eligible to receive allergy shots at UHS.
- Non-students: Please see Who Can Use UHS? for eligibility and insurance criteria. For questions about eligibility and establishing care, please call 734-764-8320.
To receive allergy shots at UHS that are prescribed by a U-M allergist:
Please schedule an appointment by calling 734-764-8320.
To receive allergy shots at UHS that are prescribed by a home (non-U-M) allergist:
Explain to your home allergist that you want to get allergy shots at University Health Service at the University of Michigan. You may wish to provide the instructions included here or direct them to this webpage.
You will need to arrange a supply of antigen from your home allergist. (UHS does not prepare antigen.)
Your allergist may have an “Administration of Immunotherapy” agreement for us to sign and return. Please let them know we do not sign these. Instead, we can fax our own agreement at their request.
For antigen coming to UHS, please INCLUDE the following information:
- The patient's:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- U-M ID number
- Best phone number
- Antigen contents, concentration and expiration date
- Instruction from home allergist including:
- Immunotherapy dosage schedule
- Date and dose of last shots received
You can deliver antigen to UHS, or your home allergist can mail it. UHS accepts delivery Monday-Thursday during Clinic Hours. Include the required information (listed immediately above) and deliver to:
University Health Service
207 Fletcher St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1050
Antigen must be kept cool during transport. We recommend the use of a cooler or ice pack for extended travel / transport of your antigen.
When antigen arrives:
- For safety, the treatment plan prescribed by the home allergist will be reviewed and verified, so we have all necessary information.
- Afterwards, the patient will be contacted to schedule an appointment. The time between receipt of antigen and the first injection is typically about three weeks.
- At that appointment, the patient will be asked to review and sign a consent form before a shot is given.
When the antigen supply is low, we will contact your allergist to request more. We will also fax your allergy shot record to inform your allergist of the patient's progress.
Some home allergists require that the patient visit prior to shipping us additional antigen. Please ask your home allergist their preference, so you can schedule visits over school breaks (e.g. fall, Thanksgiving, winter, spring break, etc) if needed.
Over school breaks or if you are leaving care at UHS, we can send your antigen to your allergist's office, after confirming with them. Please let us know your needs.
- There are fees for allergy shots for all patients:
- Antigen: All patients are responsible for antigen costs through their allergist.
- Injection fees: All patients are charged an injection fee of $33 for a single injection, or $38 for ≥2 injections.
- UHS will bill your personal health insurance for injection fees.
- UHS is contracted with and in-network with the following health insurance plans.
- Aetna U-M Student Health Plans cover injection fees. Deductible, co-pay or co-insurance may be additional.
- BCN / GradCare cover injection fees, but in order for insurance to cover services at UHS, your primary care provider (PCP) must be at UHS or U-M Michigan Medicine, OR you must obtain a referral from your PCP. Deductible, co-pay or co-insurance may be additional.
- Medicare covers injection fees. Deductible, co-pay or co-insurance may be additional.
- BCBS U-M PPO and Traditional: Check with your insurance.
- Do you have other insurance? Please check with your insurance. You may want to refer to 95117 procedure code for insurance.
- If you do NOT want your insurance to be billed, you may make payment arrangements with the UHS Patient Billing Office on the SAME DAY that you receive allergy shots. Payment must be made within 30 days.
- Patients may be responsible for paying insurance deductible, co-payments, co-insurance, or any other costs not covered by insurance.
- See also:
To schedule or ask questions, please call 734-764-8320.