The health service fee funds numerous services at UHS for student health and wellness and other initiatives that help create a health-promoting culture on campus. For what it funds at UHS, see Costs for Students.
It is a mandatory fee that most currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus pay as part of tuition each term.
It is NOT a form of health insurance.
The health service fee is not separable from a student’s tuition, nor is it refundable because a student has health insurance.
Eligibility to use UHS as an enrolled student extends for 1-2 weeks before and after the term (called the grace period).
The health service fee does NOT fund services outside UHS, including those received at Michigan Medicine (U-M hospitals and clinics).
Who pays the health service fee?
- Most currently enrolled U-M students taking regular classes on the Ann Arbor campus
- PhD students on the Ann Arbor campus
Who does not pay the health service fee?
The following do not pay the health service fee, so it does not help fund their services at UHS. (These individuals may be eligible to purchase the UHS Prepaid Plan.)
- Academic Outreach Programs
- Detached Study
- Online programs
- On Job / On Campus programs
- Ross School of Business Evening, Weekend and Executive MBA Programs
- School of Medicine Student Fellows
- School of Nursing Off-Campus Programs
- U-M Exchange Students -- health service fee varies for U-M Exchange Students, and UHS can verify coverage
- Visiting Scholars / Traveling Scholars
- U-M Short Courses
- Students auditing classes
- Post Doctorate Fellows
- Students from U-M Flint or Dearborn campuses
- Students who are not currently enrolled, e.g. who are not taking regular classes over spring and/or summer term
- Students on leaves of absence
- Students who have withdrawn from all classes before the defined withdrawal date (see How to Withdraw from a Term on the Registrar's Office website)
- U-M alumni
For questions about the health service fee:
Contact the UHS Patient Billing Office
- Costs for Students
- Costs for Non-students
- Who Can Use UHS? for eligibility
- Do you find health insurance confusing? If so, please watch Health Insurance 101 Video, for U-M students.