U-M students between semesters and recent alumni, among others, are eligible to purchase a Prepaid Plan for access to UHS services. This plan is not an insurance policy.
This page summarizes benefits and other key information.
The UHS Prepaid Plan is sold to affiliated individuals or to special groups, specifically:
- U-M students (Ann Arbor campus) who have been enrolled within the past year but are not taking regular classes for the current semester
- U-M alumni (Ann Arbor campus) who have taken regular classes within the past year
- U-M students (Flint and Dearborn campuses) who are currently enrolled or have taken classes within the past year
- Certain groups that do not pay the health service fee, listed at Fee or Free for Students > Who is NOT Covered by the Health Service Fee.
Covered services include:
- Clinic visits (e.g. medical clinics, Women's Health Clinic, specialty clinics, nurse visits, etc.)
- Eye care for medical problems (does not include routine eye exams, glasses, contact lenses)
- Health education
- Nutrition counseling
- Physical therapy
- Most laboratory tests
- Advice by telephone
Exclusions (what is not covered):
- Allergy testing and allergy antigens
- Durable medical equipment and supplies for home use
- Immunizations (vaccinations)
- Medications (prescription and non-prescription)
- Routine eye exams, glasses and contact lenses
- Tuberculosis skin tests (unless part of International Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening for certain international students)
- Certain laboratory tests including genetic testing, antibody titers that are not medically necessary, tests required solely for adminstrative purposes (e.g. sports physicals, employment, fellowship, immigration) and tests that are not related to active health problems
Note: Any costs for medical care received at a facility other than UHS are not covered by the Prepaid Plan and would be the patient's responsibility. Services received from the U-M Health System (hospitals, emergency room and clinics) are not covered by the Prepaid Plan.
Coverage begins on date of purchase (if purchased after start date) for that coverage period. It can be purchased up to one month before each coverage period begins. The UHS Prepaid Plan is not prorated, retroactive or refundable. Coverage periods are:
- September 1 - December 31
- January 1 - April 30
- May 1 - August 31
$248 per term (Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer), subject to change.
Prepaid Plan and insurance:
Students should have health insurance to help cover products and services not covered by the UHS Prepaid Plan. If you are currently covered by health insurance, please compare benefits to the Prepaid Plan. It may be more cost effective for you to pay for each service you receive (fee-for-service) and seek reimbursement from your insurance company. The cost of the Prepaid Plan is not reimbursed by insurance companies.
More information and applications:
Call the UHS Patient Billing Office at 734-764-7380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.