COSTS AT UHS:
Most currently enrolled students pay nothing for most primary care and specialist visits at UHS. That’s because U-M students who are currently enrolled in regular classes on the Ann Arbor campus pay a health service fee as part of tuition. This fee helps to fund clinical and wellness services at UHS and to create a health-promoting campus culture.
Besides these primary care visits and specialist visits, students (and/or their personal health insurance) may be billed for other services. Any out-of-pocket expense depends on what kind of care you may need and your insurance plan. Health insurance plans vary a great deal and may cover only part of the costs or it may not cover your care at UHS.
Please check with your insurance about coverage because students are responsible to pay any part that isn't covered by health insurance (the customer service # is usually on the back of your membership card)
If you are not a U-M student who is currently enrolled in regular classes on the Ann Arbor campus, please see:
Costs at UHS are handled in four different ways for most currently enrolled students on the Ann Arbor campus:
Students pay nothing and personal health insurance is not billed for the following services:
- Clinic visits in Primary Care Clinic, Quick Clinic, Gynecology and Sexual Health Clinic, Specialty Clinics, and Nutrition Clinic
- Physical Therapy initial visits
- Nurse Advice by phone
- Eye care for medical problems (excludes routine vision exams, glasses, contact lenses)
- Laboratory testing for:
- Some sexually transmitted infections (STI), including chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, HIV, mycoplasma genitalium, syphilis, and trichomonas
- Hormonal testing for trans care
- Sexual assault services and any associated laboratory testing
- Wolverine Wellness services
Personal health insurance is billed for the following services. If you do not have personal health insurance, or if your insurance doesn’t pay, you pay nothing.
- Diagnostic testing including:
- Laboratory tests performed at UHS
- Radiology x-rays and ultrasounds
- Electrocardiograms (EKG)
*We are able to perform many commonly requested lab tests at UHS. When testing is performed at UHS, the Health Service Fee will cover any costs not covered by insurance.
Personal health insurance may (or may not) pay for the following. If you do not have personal health insurance, or if your insurance doesn’t pay, you will be responsible for payment.
- Laboratory tests collected at UHS, but sent to Michigan Medicine for processing
- Prescription medications and other Pharmacy items
- Immunizations and injection fees (see Prices for Immunizations PDF)
- Contraceptive devices e.g. IUDs, implants (see Contraception Cost, Insurance and Payment)
- Routine vision exams, glasses and contact lenses
- Allergy injection fees
- TB skin testing
- Travel Health visits
- Tests or procedures required solely for administrative purposes e.g. employment, fellowship, immigration
Students pay for these and personal health insurance is not billed. Students would be responsible for payment.
- Physical Therapy service fee for return visits and re-evaluation visits
- Durable medical equipment and supplies for home use e.g. crutches, braces
COSTS OUTSIDE UHS:
Students (and/or their personal health insurance) are responsible for paying for any services received outside of UHS, even if ordered or recommended by UHS staff.
If you do not have personal health insurance, or if your insurance doesn’t pay, you will be responsible for payment for these outside services, including:
- Any services at Michigan Medicine (hospitals and clinics)
- Laboratory tests collected at UHS but sent to Michigan Medicine for processing: As a convenience to patients, and at no charge to patients, UHS collects specimens and arranges transportation to Michigan Medicine. Michigan Medicine will bill students’ personal health insurance for processing tests. Exception: STI tests and hormonal tests for trans care are included in the health service fee.
- Emergency room / department visits
- Urgent care visits
- Any other services outside UHS
About Billing and Payment:
Payment may be expected at the time of service -- see Payment options.
As an alternative to billing insurance, the UHS Patient Billing Office can offer optional payment methods on the same day that your tests or services are ordered/performed. Payment must be made within 30 days.
Patients may be responsible for paying costs not covered by insurance, e.g. deductible, co-payments, co-insurance.
- How UHS Works with Health Insurance
- FAQs about Health Insurance and Billing for Students on the Ann Arbor Campus
If you do not have health insurance:
- Please consider purchasing the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan.
- The UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office can help students check their eligibility and enroll for Michigan Medicaid.
For more information: