If you need health insurance, please consider this plan, which was developed with students' needs in mind. The enrollment deadline for the coverage period 1/1/20-8/23/20 is January 31, 2020.
The annual purchase price is $1709, with $100 deductible for in-network care, and $100 deductible for out-of-network care. See more on costs and coverage periods below.
This plan is available to students on the Ann Arbor, Dearborn or Flint campuses.
To save money on health care, currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus should visit UHS first.
- How to enroll (on this page)
- Benefits at a Glance (PDF) is a summary
- Member Guide (PDF) provides more detail
On this page:
- Why buy this health insurance plan?
- Who can enroll (eligibility)?
- Coverage periods, costs and payment
- How to enroll
- How to find a doctor outside of Michigan
- Student Health Insurance Committee
- More information
- A low-priced, voluntary plan available to all U-M students through Blue Care Network of Michigan
- Annual purchase price will be $1709, with an annual deductible of $100 for in-network care and $100 for out-of-network care
- Provides coverage throughout the U.S.
- Complies with the Affordable Care Act, with coverage comparable to a "platinum" plan on the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Is sponsored by the University of Michigan
- Prescription drug coverage
- Clinic visits
- Mental health
- Annual vision exam
- Emergency room visits
- Ambulance service
- Dental coverage
- And more - see Benefits at a Glance (PDF)
This plan is available to:
- U-M students, including undocumented students, who are enrolled in classes or between semesters (e.g. during spring/summer session) at the Ann Arbor, Dearborn or Flint campuses, including:
- Graduate and doctoral students who are completing graduation requirements (writing thesis, preparing dissertation, studying for prelims, studying abroad on detatched study, pre-doctoral candidates, etc.)
- International students, students with dual citizenship and international scholars who are not eligible for International Student and Scholar Health Insurance Plan.
- Green card holders who meet the above qualifications
- Eligible spouses, unmarried domestic partners of any gender and children (up to age 26) of all the groups listed above, if the student is enrolled in the insurance
A U-M student enrolled in the Plan who is on an approved medical leave of absence needs to have purchased the insurance prior to the event causing medical leave. Coverage for medical leave cannot extend beyond one Policy Year past the current year enrolled for classes.
After the enrollment deadline, only those students who have involuntarily lost health insurance coverage through a Qualifying Life Event are eligible to purchase the plan, limited to within 30 days after the Qualifying Life Event. Qualifying Life Events include turning age 26 and being removed from your parent's health insurance, the birth of a baby or marriage or ending of an insurance policy.
|2019-20 Policy Year|
|Coverage Period||A. Annual
(See also Annual Installment Payments directly below)
|B. Winter||C. Spring/ Summer|
|End of open enrollment period||9/30/19||1/31/20||5/31/20|
|Student + 1 (Adult or Child)||$3,352||$2156||$1056|
|Student + 2 or more||$4,995||$3,212||$1,574|
Annual Installment Payments: This is an annual plan for the entire policy year. You may elect the annual installment payment, which consists of three payments. Premium payments for Periods 2 and 3 will AUTOMATICALLY be charged to the same form of payment used for Period 1. An email notification will be sent prior to the next payment due date. If your credit card is denied, you will be given the opportunity to provide alternative payment details, but this must be received no later than the deadline as listed below. No late enrollment is allowed. Once Annual Installment Payments are chosen, there are no cancellations and no refunds other than described in the Member Guide (PDF), page 3, in the paragraph starting, "A pro-rata refund of unearned premium..."
|Premium Cost - Annual Installment Payments (2019-20 policy year):|
|1st payment:||2nd payment:||3rd payment:|
|End of open enrollment period||9/30/19||1/31/20||5/31/20|
|Student + 1 (Adult or Child)||$1475||$1106||$771|
|Student + 2 or more||$2,198||$1,648||$1149|
Enrollment is only available during open enrollment periods, unless you have a Qualifying Life Event such as turning age 26 and being removed from your parent's health insurance, the birth of a baby or marriage or ending of an insurance policy.
Note the open enrollment deadlines: Annual 9/30/19, Winter 1/31/20, Spring/Summer 5/31/20
Eligibility for enrollment is subject to verification.
To enroll online:
- Go to the BCN U-M Domestic Student Health Plan and click the green "Enroll" button
- You will be transferred to the Relations website, which handles enrollment for the BCN U-M Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan. Click the orange "ENROLL" button on the Relations website.
- You will go to the Online Enrollment page on the Relations website. Click the blue "Start Enrollment" button.
- If you agree to terms, click the blue "Yes, I agree to the above and would like to continue" button.
- Select who will be covered by insurance:
- If you are an individual student, click "Enrollee."
- If you have one or more family members you would like to add, use the + or - symbols under "Dependents" and click Add.
- After selecting the correct number of members to be enrolled, click the blue "Check out" button, follow instructions and pay.
Follow instructions at Find a Doctor outside of Michigan - Step by Step (PDF).
The Student Health Insurance Committee negotiates this insurance plan for students and addresses domestic student health insurance issues. Student participation is welcome.
For enrollment questions, contact Relation at:
- Phone (toll-free): 800-301-9128
- Email: CLIENTSERVICES@RELATIONINSURANCE.COM
For benefit information, BCN U-M Student Health Plan, 800-662-6667
UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office:
- Phone: 734-764-5182 or toll-free 866-368-0002
- Email: UHSfirstname.lastname@example.org