Welcome to UHS Physical Therapy!
We are dedicated to protecting patients during the COVID-19 pandemic. Safety measures include screenings, clean and disinfected spaces, personal protective equipment, and social distancing. See also Protecting Patients during COVID-19.
For new patients
Your initial Physical Therapy appointment will be a scheduled as a video visit. Any follow-up appointments will be scheduled for Monday through Friday, as a video, telephone, or in-person visit.
Who we are
Our UHS Physical Therapy staff members (listed below on this page) are very experienced and provide high quality PT services. We specialize in evaluation and treatment of college student health and wellness.
What we do
Our goal is to help you get where you want to be, whether that is with academic life, everyday activities, physical exercise or something else. We can help you:
- Get moving again
- Reduce or prevent pain
- Improve your strength, endurance and posture
- Treat yourself and keep you well
We evaluate and treat injuries, strains, sprains, and pain of muscles and joints. We identify any altered movement patterns, strength, mobility, postural, structural, muscular or nerve dysfunction.
We provide a wide variety of state-of-the-art treatment options, which may include:
- Manual therapy, therapeutic exercise, ice/cold/heat packs, ultrasound, whirlpool, paraffin, mechanical traction, electrical stimulation, BFR (Blood Flow Restriction Training), phonophoresis, iontophoresis, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, biofeedback, and more
- Instruction in self-care
- Home management programs
Common areas of focus include back and neck, knee, ankle, foot, hip, shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand. We offer treatment for headaches, jaw pain, pelvic health, and for post-operative rehabilitation.
In Fall and Winter semesters, we offer the Student Runners Clinic at the Central Campus Recreation Building (CCRB), in conjunction with RecSports staff.
Who is eligible to use UHS Physical Therapy?
- Currently enrolled students on the U-M Ann Arbor campus
- UHS PrePaid Plan members
- Free initial visit
- $20 service fee for any follow-up visit
How can I schedule Physical Therapy?
- Before you can schedule an appointment, you will need an order or referral from your physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, dentist or podiatrist.
- After you have an order or referral, schedule by calling 734-764-8349.
- You may also schedule in-person. If you have a non-U-M health care provider, please bring your order or referral with you or have them fax the order to 734-763-1034.
- If your order is for post-surgical Physical Therapy, please also bring or fax to 734-763-1034 a copy of your surgical report, and your surgeon’s Physical Therapy post-operative treatment protocol.These are guidelines and instructions that the surgeon provides so that he Physical Therapist can follow and provide you with optimal care. We will not be able to start your treatment without your surgeon’s post-operative treatment protocol.
How many Physical Therapy visits do I need?
After your first appointment, the Physical Therapist will recommend and discuss with you any need for follow-up visits.
Are supplies and durable medical equipment available at UHS?
- Yes, we have a variety of equipment available for purchase at UHS including crutches, canes, knee sleeves, wrist braces, ankle braces, CAM walkers/boots, slings, back braces, taping supplies, back pillows, and more.
- Wheelchairs are available for use at UHS only. UHS does not rent, sell or loan out wheelchairs or scooters. For wheelchair rentals, contact Hometown Pharmacy at 734-747-8080, 2355 East Stadium Blvd. #1, Ann Arbor.
- Posture Break: Do you sit for long periods of time? If so, taking posture breaks can help! They're easy to do and easy to incorporate into your day. UHS PT's Rosanne Crompton and Angie Taylor demonstrate.
- How to Check Running Shoes for Excessive Wear: Learn when it's time to replace your running shoes. PT's Rose Dishman shares her expertise.