Immunizations are effective
Immunizations are one of the most effective ways of preventing illness and reducing symptoms of illness. For evidence, see Vaccinations Work.
How to get immunizations
U-M students and other UHS patients (see Who can use UHS?) can get immunizations (vaccinations) at UHS for a fee, described below.
Please schedule an appointment by calling 734-764-8320, or see How to Get Health Care.
If you are planning to travel, please schedule an appointment at least 4 weeks before intended travel because some vaccines take several weeks to take effect -- see Travel Health Services.
If you are less than age 18, you need consent from a parent or guardian -- please use the Consent for Treatment of a Minor form (PDF).
If you want to complete an immunization series and got your first dose(s) outside UHS, arrange to send records of your previous dose(s), with your name and injection dates, via:
- Fax to 734-936-3063
- Email to UHS-ROIRequest@med.umich.edu
- Deliver to Health Information Management, suite 0140, ground floor, University Health Service, 207 Fletcher St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1050
Costs and insurance
If you cannot access this pricesheet, or want help in understanding it, please call 734-764-8320 for assistance.
Prices for Immunizations (PDF)
Please check your insurance coverage; patients are responsible for payment of any costs that insurance does not cover.
Immunizations are also available at:
- Local pharmacies
- Your primary care provider / home health care provider
- Washtenaw County Health Department for individuals without insurance, with Medicaid, or those who cannot get vaccination elsewhere; call 734-544-6700 to schedule an appointment
Are you a new student (or parent) who wants to submit immunization records?
See UHS's Immunization Records page and U-M's Health Response site for more information. Certain vaccinations are required for students living in Michigan Housing in Ann Arbor.
Do you need a copy of your immunization records from UHS?
See Health Records.
What immunizations are required or recommended?
Immunizations are required for students in Michigan Housing; highly recommended for all others
All U-M students residing in Michigan Housing on the Ann Arbor campus beginning in fall 2023 are required to submit documentation showing whether they are vaccinated for the following vaccinations in line with the CDC immunization schedule:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) vaccine
- Meningococcal Conjugate (MenACWY) vaccine
- Polio vaccine
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) vaccine
- Chicken pox/varicella vaccine
- Bivalent COVID-19 vaccine
Immunizations highly recommended but not required
- Meningitis B vaccine
- Hepatitis A vaccine
- Hepatitis B vaccine (may be required for some healthcare workers)
- Influenza vaccine – yearly (may be required for some healthcare workers)
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
More information on these immunizations is available from the CDC.
What immunizations do you need?
To learn your recommended immunizations, you can:
- Visit a healthcare provider for recommendations
- Take a quiz from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- For travel-related immunizations, see Travel Health Services.
- Tuberculosis and Testing
- Travel Health Services
- If you are concerned about symptoms or risk, you may wish to call for Nurse Advice by Phone.