University Health Service

This page is for students on the Ann Arbor campus.

On this page:

What is the health service fee and what does it cover?

See Free or Fees for Students.

Do students need health insurance?

Yes, see Why Students Should Have Health Insurance.

Do I have to pay for services not covered by the health service fee?

If you have insurance but it does not completely cover costs, you will need to pay any remaining fees. You may be asked to pay at your visit, or you may receive a bill later.

If you don't have insurance, you are expected to pay at your visit.

Will my parents receive any bills for UHS services?

Generally, no. However, charges for services not covered by the health service fee that are billed to your insurance company may appear on your insurance statement.

If your parent is the policyholder of the insurance, it is possible that the insurance company will notify them of the billings received or paid.

Also, if your U-M student account is paid by your parents and you choose to have any UHS services billed to this account, be aware that the UHS charge will be identified on your financial statement. The UHS charge will simply indicate that you were seen at UHS and not state the purpose of the visit. For more information, see Confidentiality at UHS.

How can I handle medical bills?

For questions about UHS bills, contact the UHS Patient Billing Office. For bills outside UHS, see:

How will my UHS visit affect my insurance deductible?

Services that are covered by the health service fee are not billed to insurance and therefore will not affect your deductible.

Does U-M offer a health insurance plan?

Yes, see Health Insurance Plans for Students.

What do I need to know about using my health insurance?

See How UHS Works with Health Insurance.

Do I need a referral from my home primary care provider (PCP) to use UHS?

No, when you are a currently enrolled student, you can use UHS without a referral from your home PCP and your health service fee will cover most services.

What types of insurance does UHS accept?

See How UHS Works with Health Insurance.

Does the UHS Pharmacy accept insurance?

Yes, see Pharmacy for accepted plans.

What methods of payment do you accept?

See Payment.

Where can I get dental services?

U-M Dental School offers patient services but not insurance.

For more information:

For eligibility to use UHS, fees, payment options, insurance billing and the UHS Prepaid Plan, call the UHS Patient Billing Office at 734-764-7380.

For insurance benefits through the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan and Premier Care/GradCare, contact the UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office, 734-764-5182 or toll-free 866-368-0002 or email