Resources for Financial Needs and Medical Assistance

stethoscope on dollars

Facing medical bills or need low-cost assistance for your health and well-being? This page provides resources.

First, let us offer some advice: Do your best to avoid bills as much as possible. See How to Avoid or Minimize Medical Bills.

Central places for U-M student support:

The Dean of Students Office (DOS) is a central place for students, parents, faculty and staff to seek assistance in navigating the complex issues of campus life–receive support, evaluate individual needs and review options for problem solving, and learn about available resources for a student struggling with a challenge or unmet need. Call 734-764-7420 or email [email protected]

You can also contact the UHS Managed Care and Student Insurance Office, where staff can guide you through your options.

Low-cost health care:

U-M students, UHS is your campus health resource. Most currently enrolled students on the Ann Arbor campus pay a health service fee as part of tuition, which helps funds clinical services at UHS and well-being services to improve campus health and wellness. To discuss costs or a bill from UHS, contact the Patient Billing Office.

Are you between terms or did you just graduate? Consider purchasing the UHS Prepaid Plan for access to UHS services.

See also Concerned about Costs or Privacy?

Other local low-cost health clinics:

Health insurance / coverage:

U-M offers health insurance plans for purchase:

For public assistance, see:

  • Michigan Helping Hand: Helps Michigan residents facing economic hardship find the services they need.
  • Michigan Health Care Programs Eligibility:  Provides a description of programs as well as who is eligible.
  • Michigan Department of Human Services: Determines eligibility for government-funded medlcal programs, as follows:
    • MIChild:  Coverage for children age 18 & under from families with income above Medicaid limits. Monthly premium of $5/family covers immunizations, dental care, prenatal care and delivery, vision and hearing care, and mental health care. 
    • Medicaid:  Insures certain Michigan residents below the federal poverty level, blind or otherwise disabled people, those age 65 & over, pregnant women, and—through the Healthy Kids program—children age 18 and under. For free help to determine whether you are eligible for Michigan Medicaid, schedule an appointment with the Patient Financial Counselors at Michigan Medicine, Monday-Friday 8 AM - 5 PM: email [email protected] or call 877-326-9155 or local 734-232-2621.
    • Washtenaw Health Plan  (Washtenaw County Public Health Department): Uninsured county residents who meet income requirements can get health coverage for primary care from local doctors, clinics, and other services, including specialty care, hospitalization, and prescription drugs. Note: Students are NOT eligible for this plan.

Prescription assistance:

  • Medicine Assistance Tool: Helps patients in need find ways to access prescription medicines for little or no cost through patient assistance programs.
  • U-M UHS Pharmacy: May assist in obtaining medications. Phone 734-764-7387.
  • Michigan Drug Helps you compare prices among pharmacies. Provided by the Michigan Department of Community Health. Also links to drug discount programs.

Food, shelter and other assistance:

  • The Basic Needs website provides information about U-M resources to help students access food and other basic needs.
  • The Maize and Blue Food Cupboad addresses food insecurity by distributing free food and other necessities on campus.
  • SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as food stamps): To learn about eligibility and enrolling, see MI Bridges and their video. The Maize and Blue Food Cupboad can also help students with enrolling. 
  • See listing of local resources on Arborweb.
  • 2-1-1 is a telephone number and website for information about health and human services in Washtenaw County, Michigan. However, this service may not include many of the U-M resources for students.
  • Food Gatherers lists resources for food, including food pantries such as the Back Door Food Pantry.

Health charities:

Financial assistance:

Dental clinics:

Legal advice, conflict resolution and guidance:

  • U-M Student Legal Services: Provides free legal advice to students regarding collections and other matters.
  • U-M Ombuds Office: Offers informal dispute resolution services, provides resources and referrals, and helps students consider options available to them.
  • U-M Dean of Students Office: Email [email protected] or call 734-764-7420. Provides assistance with personal (i.e. non-academic) matters such as illness, injury, family or emotional issues, etc. The office can also help coordinate notification of student emergencies to the proper academic programs, etc.
  • U-M Office of Student Conflict Resolution: Provides programs and services designed to support a safe, just and peaceful community, and to help U-M students learn how to manage and resolve conflict peacefully. OSCR offers a full-spectrum menu of conflict resolution pathways.
  • Dispute Resolution Center: Offers free mediation services.