For currently enrolled U-M students, UHS will bill insurance for costs that the health service fee does not support.
By law, health care services are confidential, however the policy holder on your insurance (your parent if you're on their insurance) may receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from your insurance company detailing the services you receive at UHS.
As an alternative to insurance billing, you may make payment arrangements with the UHS Patient Billing Office on the SAME DAY that your tests are ordered / performed. Payment must be made within 30 days.
Students may also charge fees >$10 to their student account. Your student account will indicate total cost of services at UHS but no other detail.
In addition, one or more of these options may help, depending on your circumstances.
If you’re enrolled on your parents’ health insurance:
- Call the customer service number for your insurance company and tell them that you don’t want your parents to have access to any of your health information; they may be able to route claims, bills, and benefits information to you directly (for example, to your campus address) and remove your parents’ online access to this information
- Consider talking with your parents about the kind of health care you may seek based on expert guidelines
- Consider unenrolling from your parents’ health plan and enrolling in your own (see below)
If you are not enrolled in health insurance, if you have a high-deductible health plan, or if your insurance is not accepted in Michigan:
- Consider enrolling in the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan through Blue Care Network (undocumented students are eligible)
- Consider enrolling in Healthy Michigan Medicaid
- Residency can be established with any official mail to a Michigan address
- Eligible if your individual income is under $16,000/year
- Parents’ income is only relevant if they claim you as a dependent on their taxes
- Talk to the U-M Office of Financial Aid about raising your ‘cost of attendance’ in order to account for unexpected health care costs
For more information about these options and help navigating these decisions, you can contact the UHS Managed Care and Student Insurance Office
For detailed information about costs specific to your situation, you can contact the UHS Patient Billing Office