University Health Service


How to get tested

I have no symptoms and may or may not have had an exposure

I have no symptoms and may or may not have had an exposure (for example, I need a test for travel or pre-procedure). Options for testing include:

I have mild symptoms and only want a test

I have mild symptoms and may or may not have had an exposure (for example, you have a runny nose, congestion, sore throat, and/or mild cough). Options for testing include:
  • Test at UHS. Schedule an appointment on your patient portal (recommended) or call 734-764-8320.
  • Test at home with an antigen test.

*Please call UHS for a clinician appointment (734-764-8320) if you have any of the following: chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, diarrhea, or concerns for mononucleosis or pneumonia.

I have moderate or urgent symptoms and want an appointment

If you have moderate or urgent symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, diarrhea, mononucleosis, or pneumonia, make an appointment to have an office visit with a clinician and be tested for COVID-19.

  • Schedule an appointment by calling UHS at 734-764-8320. 
  • Nurse advice is another option and available day or night.

In case of emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency department.

For urgent concerns when UHS is closed, you may wish to:

For other local test sites, see Washtenaw County list.

FAQs about testing

Who can be tested through UHS?

The following groups are eligible to use UHS clinical services, including testing for COVID-19 infection:

  • U-M students
  • Established UHS patients
  • Others who are eligible for our services -- see Who Can Use UHS?

Who should get tested? Those with symptoms or close contact exposures.

If you have symptoms, test immediately.

If you were exposed to COVID-19 and do not have symptoms, wait at least 5 full days after your exposure before testing. If you test too early, you may be more likely to get an inaccurate result.
If you are in certain high-risk settings, you may need to test as part of a screening testing program.
Consider testing before contact with someone at high risk for severe COVID-19, especially if you are in an area with a medium or high COVID-19 Community Level.

I did a home antigen test. What do I do now? What does it mean?

I had COVID in the past. Should I get tested again?

  • My first positive test result was within: 30 days or less
    • I have symptoms
      Use antigen tests. If negative, multiple tests may be necessary.
    • I do not have symptoms
      Testing is not recommended to detect a new infection.
  • My first positive test result was within: 31-90 days
    • I have symptoms
      Use antigen tests. If negative, multiple tests may be necessary.
    • I do not have symptoms
      Use antigen tests. If negative, multiple tests may be necessary

Can I get tested to meet a requirement e.g. for travel?

Testing is available to meet requirements such as:

  • Travel requirement -- See COVID-19 Testing for International Travelers
  • Public health or university requirement
  • Employment / occupational requirement
  • Pre-procedure requirement e.g. prior to medical or dental procedure
  • Program requirement e.g. academic program

I tested positive for COVID-19 within 90 days of travel, what do I need to do to travel abroad?

Students who have had COVID-19 within the previous 90 days may receive a "False Positive" COVID-19 result if testing again before travel. For destinations with an entry requirement of a negative COVID-19 test result, students should research if they may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (e.g. your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before your travel date, a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official explaining your recovery, etc.).

For students scheduling an appointment with UHS for a COVID-19 test, UHS may provide you with a letter stating that you have recently had COVID-19 and are unable to provide a negative COVID-19 test result.

Students should verify with the consulate of the destination country and airline if the documentation prepared meets entry requirements, if additional steps must be taken, or if travel must be delayed until entry requirements can be met. The COVID-19 Country Specific Information page of the U.S. embassy in your destination provides an overview of entry and exit requirements and typically provides direct links to the host destination's entry requirement website.

Students returning to the U.S. should review CDC guidelines that outline requirements for those who tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 90 days.

How can I collect my sample with a deep nasal swab?

You may be asked to collect your sample using a deep nasal swab. Please review this video to learn how you to perform this collection.

When will I get my test result?

Results are typically available within 24-48 hours.

What if I am immunocompromised?

  • Immunocompromised individuals may be required to isolate for a longer period of time. 
  • Some immunocompromised individuals may be eligible for Monoclonal Antibody therapy or oral medications if they test positive for COVID-19 and have symptoms. The guidelines change regularly. If you have COVID-19 with symptoms and feel you may be a candidate for treatment for COVID-19, please call UHS at 734-764-8320 to discuss further.

Where are UHS testing locations?

Testing is by appointment only.

  • Schedule an appointment on Patient Portal (recommended) or call UHS at 734-764-8320
  • UHS is located on Central Campus at 207 Fletcher St., Ann Arbor

What are fees and insurance for testing?

  • For currently enrolled students and UHS Prepaid members, you will have no out-of-pocket costs. Your insurance will be billed for COVID-19 testing and any remaining balance will be covered by UHS.
  • For questions, please contact the Patient Billing Office

Is antibody testing available?

Yes, antibody testing to detect past infection is available through UHS. See Past COVID-19 Infection.

How can I share a test result from elsewhere?