All students planning to leave campus, including students planning international travel, should follow U-M departure protocols, which include testing. For details see Departure Testing & Protocol.
The following steps are recommended for students planning international travel:
- Determine your destination's entry requirements. Resources to determine entry requirements include:
- Remain flexible with travel plans and purchase refundable flights in the event that you are unable to meet your destination country's entry requirements and travel must be delayed or cancelled.
- Schedule an appointment with UHS for COVID-19 tests (details below) that are needed to enter your destination country/s.
- Students who have had COVID-19 within the previous 90 days may receive a "False Positive" COVID-19 result. In these instances, UHS will provide you with a letter stating that you have recently had COVID-19 and are unable to provide a negative COVID-19 test result. Students can share this letter with the consulate of the destination country to determine if this letter meets entry requirements, if additional steps must be taken, or if travel must be delayed until entry requirements can be met.
COVID-19 testing to meet travel requirements is available at UHS.
- COVID-19 testing through UHS is a nucleic acid (PCR) test.
- Specifically, this test, the SARS-CoV-2 PCR assay, is a real-time reverse transcriptase (RT) polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test intended for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from the SARS-CoV-2 in nasopharyngeal swabs collected by a healthcare worker.
- A COVID-19 antibody test is also available through UHS.
- Specifically, this test is a SARS-CoV-2 Antibody assay that is intended for qualitative detection of total antibodies (including IgG and IgM) to SARS-CoV-2. Note: Michigan Medicine and UHS do not have an available test to report IgM levels separately.
- Results from both types of tests can be available within 48 hours, although a 24-hour turn-around time may be available. However, please keep in mind special holiday/break hours on the following days. When UHS is closed, no specimens will be obtained and submitted for testing. See UHS hours.
- You can download and print this Letter about COVID Tests and Laboratories (PDF) that shows that the Michigan Medicine and UHS labs that perform U-M COVID-19 testing have CLIA accreditation (a type of government-approved accreditation), if your airline or consulate requires this. This letter will also be available when you get your COVID test.
How to get tested through UHS
- If you must have your test results back within 24 or 48 hours to meet airline or consulate requirements, we advise that you call UHS at 734-764-8320 during open hours so that your testing assessment and scheduling can be done by phone. However, remember that the 24-hour turn-around time cannot be guaranteed.
- Call as soon as you know your scheduled departure date, and explain any specific requirements.
- Schedule your testing appointment for the morning, before noon.
- Otherwise, please follow the instructions at COVID-19 Testing through UHS
Receiving your UHS test result
You will receive your UNOFFICIAL test results through the Patient Portal. If you have not yet created a portal account, please do so immediately by following instructions on the portal link above.
It's recommended to print and submit OFFICIAL test results to your consulate or to your airline together with the letter you received when you were tested, or you may use this Letter about COVID Tests and Laboratories (PDF).
You can use the portal to request an official report of the results by following the steps below, and this will require additional time. Requests will be processed during UHS open hours, and requests may take a few hours to process.
How to request OFFICIAL test results through the Patient Portal (the fastest way):
- Login to your portal account at MyUofMHealth.org
- Click on Menu
- Under the My Record tab, click on Medical Record Request Form
- Click on the link for UHS record request form (2nd line under Medical Record Request)
- Fill out information and state "URGENT REQUEST - OFFICIAL COVID TEST RESULT NEEDED"
- Click Submit Request
Or you may complete the UHS request form (slower):
- Complete the UHS Authorization to Release Protected Health Information form
- Send it by email to UHS-ROIRequest@med.umich.edu and write "URGENT REQUEST" in the subject line
How to find other test locations
If your airline or consulate has COVID-19 test requirements that the tests available through UHS do not meet, you can find other test sites: