University Health Service

international students looking at a computer, photo by Mimi Thian on Unsplash

Welcome to the University of Michigan!

COVID-19 is making college decisions and transitions more challenging. Be sure to read this information about protecting yourself and others, and learn about the university's response to COVID-19.

To learn about important health and wellness information, including how to submit your immunization record,  health insurance, and resources the university can provide for you, read the information below from the U-M International Center and University Health Service.

Top Ten Things U-M Students Need to Know
about Getting Health Care at UHS

On this page

Submit this health information

  • Immunization Records – All new students (or their parent/guardian) should submit their immunization records at least 6 weeks before classes begin. 
  • Parent / Guardian Consent for a Minor to Receive Health Care Services  Only for students under age 18; a parent or guardian should complete this form.

Health care at the university

University Health Service (UHS) can provide most of your health care while you are a student at the university. Appointments are required for clinic visits; in-person and telehealth options are available.

Most currently enrolled U-M students (Ann Arbor campus) pay a mandatory health service fee, included as part of tuition, that funds clinical services at UHS and well-being services to improve campus health and wellness.

UHS provides services for non-urgent and urgent health care concerns. Language interpretation is available. 

To learn more about health care on campus, see How to Get Health Care.

For easy access, please put this number for UHS in your phone: 734-764-8320 

Health examination, immunizations, and health history

Immunizations are not required by the U.S. government or the university with one exception: All students, faculty, and staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit vaccine information by July 15 (Fall term) or December 1 (Winter term). The U.S. Government also requires you to be fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to travel to the United States by plane if you are a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. immigrant.

You may arrange for a physical exam with your home health care provider (recommended but not required). At that visit, you can update immunizations. 

We encourage you to be fully immunized. Immunizations are recommended to protect your health and the health of others.

See recommendations at Immunization Records and please note in particular that:

  • If possible, get a flu shot before coming to campus
  • Meningitis is a serious and potentially fatal illness that immunization can help prevent.

If you are unsure of your immunization status, please check with your health care provider, ideally before classes begin. You can also get immunizations at UHS for a fee, which may be covered by your health insurance.

Be sure you know your health history, including current medications and any allergies to medications, foods, etc.

If you have a complex health history:

  • Obtain a letter from your health care provider summarizing your health history and treatments 
  • Schedule an introductory visit with a UHS physician early in your first term and deliver the letter at that first visit (do not send it in advance)
  • See also Resources for Students with Chronic Health Conditions

Health insurance

For F-1 or J-1 international students whose Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 was issued by the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor):

Health insurance that meets university standards is required to help cover costs such as hospitalization, ambulance services, and medications (which are not covered by the health service fee). As soon as you arrive on campus and complete your Mandatory Immigration Check-in, you (and any F-2 or J-2 dependents) will be automatically enrolled in the U-M International Student Health Insurance Plan. Your health insurance coverage will begin on the program start date on your Form I-20 (in the program of study box) or Form DS-2019 (Item 3). If you have other insurance that meets university standards, you will have the opportunity to apply for a waiver of the insurance requirement at a later date. For questions about health insurance, including the university's standards for insurance coverage, see Health Insurance or email

If you will receive GradCare health insurance because you will be a Graduate Student Instructor or Graduate Student Research Assistant, or will receive a University fellowship, please be sure to read Insurance Provided as a U-M Benefit.

For all other international students:

Students should have health insurance to cover:

  • Services received at UHS that are not covered by the health service fee (e.g. medication, testing, immunizations)
  • Services received outside UHS (e.g. emergency room visits, hospitalization)

Medical care for serious illnesses can be expensive, and since the US does not have a national health care system, health care costs are not paid by the US government. If you do not have health insurance that will cover health care costs in the US, consider purchasing the U-M Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan.


If you take prescription medication or use a medical device:

  • Be sure to read guidelines on Traveling with Medication from the US Customs and Border Protection website.
  • Please arrange for prescription renewals and/or a supply of medications. Keep all medications in original containers. 
  • If you have a prescription from a pharmacy in the US, you may be able to transfer the prescription to a pharmacy in Ann Arbor, such as the UHS Pharmacy.
  • UHS may be an option for renewing prescriptions. UHS can look up your medication in an international database to determine the closest product available in the US. See How to Get Prescription Medications. If you take medications for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, learn about prescriptions at ADHD

If you wear glasses or contact lenses, bring a copy of your current prescription, in case replacement is needed. You can get eye exams, contact lenses, and glasses on campus at the UHS Eye Care Clinic and Optical Shop.

More information for well-being

U-M offers a wide variety of Well-being Resources, which are searchable on Well-being for U-M Students. If you would like help learning about campus resources for well-being, please contact Wolverine Wellness at UHS, phone 734-763-1320, or email

If you are currently receiving mental health care, or are interested in doing so:

The Collegiate Recovery Program provides a supportive community where students in recovery can achieve academic success while enjoying a genuine college experience, free from alcohol and other drugs. If you are a student in recovery or are curious about recovery, please contact the program.

Students with disabilities who need academic accommodations are encouraged to contact the Services for Students with Disabilities Office. Students wishing to receive services must register with this office. Disabilities include chronic health or mental health conditions, learning disorders, and visual, hearing and mobility impairments.

U-M is a tobacco-free campus, and students, faculty, and staff can get support for quitting  Learn more at Tobacco-Free University Initiative.

Once you arrive on campus, prepare a Health Care Kit to keep in your room, house, or apartment. 

Contact us