UHS clinicians use their expertise and judgment to make decisions about prescribing medications.
Need a NEW prescription?
- Schedule an appointment with a clinician. Call 734-764-8320 to schedule an appointment or ask about a new prescription.
- At your appointment, plan to share your request and health history. Bring relevant medical records to this appointment. It's helpful if you have records of medications that you have used in the past.
- Consider using our Pharmacy, which is conveniently located on the first floor of UHS.
Need a REFILL of your prescription?
- Contact your pharmacy to refill as needed.
- Keep track of how many refills are left by checking your prescription label.
- When no refills are left, you will need a prescription renewal (see next section).
Need a RENEWAL of your prescription?
- Whenever possible, request medication renewals via the Patient Portal, using the "Request a Medication Renewal" button. (You will need a portal account.) You can send a request day or night.
- Request medication renewals at least 4 business days before you run out. This is because it can take up to 72 hours (3 business days) for UHS to process a renewal and send the request to the pharmacy. Keep in mind that UHS processes requests only Mon-Fri, not on Saturday or Sunday.
- Make and keep appointments for follow-up visits with your clinician. Call to schedule at least a month in advance, because appointments can be limited.
- In the absence of your clinician, another UHS clinician may renew your prescription.
Medications for Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD):
See ADHD webpage.
Suggestions for managing your medications:
- Save the names and dosages of your medication, plus pharmacy name and location. If you are prescribed medication at UHS, the patient portal will retain this information.
- Schedule reminders for yourself to request refills, renewals and appointments.
- Use an app to help you manage medications, track prescriptions and remind you when it's time for a refill. Medisafe Pill Reminder is highly rated in app stores.