For New Students (Domestic)


Welcome to the University of Michigan!

To learn about important health and wellness information, including how to submit your immunization records, health insurance options, and resources that the university can provide for you, read the information below from UHS.

Top Ten Things U-M Students Need to Know About Getting Health Care at UHS

On this page:

Read this page just for you

Submit this information

*Please submit this information at least one month before classes begin.

Health care at the university

University Health Service (UHS) can provide most of your health care while you are a student at the university. Appointments are required for clinic visits, and in-person and telehealth options are available.

Most currently enrolled U-M students (Ann Arbor campus) pay a mandatory health service fee, included as part of tuition, that funds clinical services at UHS and well-being services to improve campus health and wellness.

UHS provides services for non-urgent and urgent health care concerns. Language interpretation is available. To learn more about health care on campus, see How to Get Health Care.

For easy access, please put this number for UHS in your phone: 734-764-8320 

Health examination, immunizations, and health history

U-M students living in Michigan Housing on the Ann Arbor campus are required to submit documentation showing whether they are vaccinated for COVID-19 and other routine immunizations under the university's vaccination policy. For more information, see the university's Health Response site.

You may arrange for a physical exam with your home health care provider (recommended but not required). At that visit, you can update immunizations. 

Even if you are not living on campus, we encourage you to be fully immunized. Immunizations are recommended to protect your health and the health of others.

See recommendations at Immunization Records and in particular note that:

  • If possible, get a flu shot before coming to campus 
  • Meningitis is a serious and potentially fatal illness that immunization can help prevent

If you are unsure of your immunization status, please check with your healthcare provider, ideally before classes begin. You can also get immunizations at UHS for a fee, which may be covered by your health insurance.

Be sure you know your health history, including current medications and any allergies to medications, foods, etc.

If you have a complex health history:

  • Obtain a letter from your healthcare provider summarizing your health history and treatments
  • Schedule an introductory visit with a UHS physician early in your first term and deliver the letter at that first visit (do not send it in advance)
  • See also Resources for Students with Chronic Health Conditions

Health insurance

Students should have health insurance to cover:

  • Services received at UHS that are not covered by the health service fee (e.g. medication, testing, immunizations)
  • Services received outside UHS (e.g. emergency room visits, hospitalization)

If you need health insurance, consider purchasing the U-M Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan, a low-cost voluntary plan for U-M students that is offered through the university. (International students who are required to have health insurance will get it when they arrive through the U-M International Center Health Insurance Office.)

Become familiar with how your health insurance works and how to use it. Carry your insurance and prescription drug cards with you (or a photo of your cards, or electronic access to your insurance information).

Inform your health insurance company that you will be at college and ask about your coverage in the Ann Arbor area. Ask whether your plan has network providers here. Consider requesting an "out-of-area waiver" for your time at university.


If you take prescription medication:

  • Please arrange for prescription renewals and/or a supply of medications. Keep all medications in their original containers. 
  • You may be able to transfer prescriptions from your home pharmacy to a pharmacy in Ann Arbor, such as the UHS Pharmacy
  • UHS may be an option for renewing prescriptions. See How to Get Prescription Medications. If you take medications for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, learn about how we work with students on our ADHD page

If you wear glasses or contact lenses, bring a copy of your current prescription, in case replacement is needed. You can get eye exams, contact lenses, and glasses on campus at the UHS Eye Care Clinic and Optical Shop.

If you take allergy shots and want to continue shots at UHS, arrange a supply of antigen from your home allergist for delivery. UHS reviews and approves all treatment programs. See Allergy Shots or call 734-764-8320.

More information

U-M offers a wide variety of Well-being Resources, which are searchable on Well-being for U-M Students. If you would like help learning about campus resources for well-being, please contact Wolverine Wellness at 734-763-1320 or email [email protected].

If you are currently receiving mental health care, or are interested in doing so, please:

The Collegiate Recovery Program provides a supportive community where students in recovery can achieve academic success while enjoying a genuine college experience, free from alcohol and other drugs. If you are a student in recovery or are curious about recovery, please contact the program.

Students with disabilities who need academic accommodations should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities Office. Students wishing to receive services must register with this office. Disabilities may include chronic health or mental health conditions, learning disorders as well as visual, hearing, and mobility impairments.

U-M is a tobacco-free campus, and students, faculty, and staff can get support for quitting. Learn more at Tobacco-Free University Initiative.

We recommend that you bring a Health Care Kit with you to campus, or purchase supplies when you arrive.

Contact us