Getting contraception is easier than ever! UHS offers options including video visits and e-consultations.
The only contraceptive methods that require an examination are the diaphragm for fitting and the IUD for insertion procedure.
If you want a pelvic exam during your visit, schedule your appointment for when you are not menstruating or when your menstrual flow is very light.
The following methods are available by prescription at UHS:
For Intrauterine device (IUD) or Implant, you have several options to learn about the method, after which you may schedule an appointment for insertion:
- Read here about IUD (PDF) or Implant (PDF) OR
- Call UHS to receive the same information via the patient portal (you must have a patient portal account) OR
- Schedule a video visit (available only for currently enrolled U-M students, and you will need a portal account, and you will use your mobile phone or iPad for the video visit) OR
- Schedule an in-person consultation
For the shot (Depo Provera), oral contraceptive pills (the pill), the patch or the vaginal ring, you have two options to learn about the method and get a prescription:
- Schedule a video visit (available only for currently enrolled U-M students, and you will need a patient portal account, and you will use your mobile phone or iPad for the video visit) OR
- Schedule an in-person visit
For a diaphragm, please schedule for in-person consultation.
To schedule an appointment or get more information, call 734-764-8320, or see How to Get Health Care.
If you have a prescription from elsewhere
If you want to fill a prescription from elsewhere, the UHS Pharmacy can help. You may have your prescription transferred by calling 734-764-7387. UHS Pharmacy staff will ask you for information about your current prescription.
To get a non-prescription method:
- Free condoms and other safer sex supplies are available for U-M students in UHS Wolverine Wellness.
- Products such as condoms, spermicide and lubricants are available at the UHS Pharmacy.
- Emergency contraception is availabe in the UHS Pharmacy. The sooner EC is taken after unprotected sex, the more effective it is.
How to learn about contraception:
- UHS Online Contraception Education Program helps you compare methods and learn costs at UHS
- See Planned Parenthood's Birth Control site and take their quiz
- UHS clinicians can discuss contraceptive options. To schedule, call 734-764-8320 or see How to Get Health Care.
- See Contraception Cost, Insurance and Payment