Tuition Refund Insurance is available for U-M Ann Arbor students.
Tuition Refund Insurance enrollment is now closed for the fall 2020, winter 2021 and spring/summer 2021 coverage periods.
If you are interested in coverage for the U-M summer half term classes (6/30/21 – 8/20/21) please contact Dewar Insurance on or before 7/6/21.
This insurance plan significantly extends and enhances the university's published withdrawal policy. The plan provides funds that can help to pay back loans, grants and scholarships for students who must completely withdraw from a term due to a physical or mental health illness or injury. For a very reasonable cost (0.6% of tuition), you can protect your financial investment for the entire academic year.
This page provides highlights of the plan.
Note that this insurance does not refund tuition or any other charges because of a change to online instruction or alternative learning platform.
To purchase this insurance for 2020-21 academic terms, please visit Dewar Insurance.
For questions or more information, you may email UHSemail@example.com
Why buy Tuition Refund Insurance?
The cost of education today is a substantial investment. Students and parents may face significant financial loss if students are unable to complete a term due to illness or injury (physical or mental health). This plan may be especially useful if students have a health condition that could compromise their ability to complete a term. This plan:
- Significantly extends and enhances the university's published withdrawal policy
- Provides funds that can help to pay back loans, grants and scholarships
- Covers students taking classes on campus or remotely
- Is offered by Dewar Insurance Company, a private insurance carrier, that originated in 1930 to protect the financial investment of students and parents in education
- Is available at over 1100 schools throughout North America
All registered students on the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus may purchase the plan for the current school year. (It may be available on the Dearborn and Flint campuses in the future.)
Benefits and documentation
The plan refunds 75% of the insured term's tuition and fees (excluding required health insurance for international students), less any refund or credit due from the university, if a student completely withdraws from the university due to a physical or mental health illness or injury. Those who live in University Housing can also purchase this coverage for room and board (less any refund or credit due from the university).
For physical injury or illness withdrawals, a licensed physician must provide a written statement that a physical condition is the reason for withdrawal.
For mental health (psychological / emotional) withdrawals, a licensed doctor must provide a written statement that a psychological/emotional condition is the reason for withdrawal. Diagnosis must be classified in accordance with the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSMV-IV).
In both cases above, a "complete withdrawal" from the university is required. This means that the student will not be able to complete the term and will not receive any academic credit because of injury or sickness. This coverage does not apply if students drop classes and do not completely withdraw for the term. A written statement from a doctor certifying the injury or sickness and college verification will be required.
- Office of the Registrar: How to Withdraw from a Term
- Office of the Registrar: Tuition and Fees
- Office of Financial Aid: Withdrawing and Your Financial Aid
- University Housing Refund Policies
Exclusions (what this plan does not cover):
This insurance does not refund tuition or any other charges because of:
- A change to online instruction or alternative learning platform
- War or any act of war, declared or undeclared
- Taking part in a riot
- Failure to attend classes for any reason other than injury or sickness
- Withdrawal when credit was received for an incomplete term
- Nuclear reaction, nuclear radiation or radioactive contamination
Tuition Refund Insurance covers a full term from first to last day of classes, less any monies refunded by the university based on date of withdrawal. University Housing reimbursement is based on authorized move-out date.
Coverage can be purchased for an academic year (Fall and Winter semesters) or a single term. If you purchase coverage for a full academic year but for any reason the student does not return for subsequent terms, notify the insurance company and any unused premium will be refunded.
How to purchase:
Tuition Refund Insurance enrollment is now closed for the fall and fall/winter coverage periods.
Enrollment for winter semester will begin in December, and you will be able to purchase this insurance:
- At Dewar Insurance (select University of Michigan)
- From the Dewar link in Wolverine Access when students view their student account for the fall semester bill (in the Student Center under the Campus Finances page)
- By calling 617-774-1555
Payment must be submitted at time of application.
Purchase deadlines: Applications to purchase must be completed by the following dates in order to begin coverage, and no application will be accepted after these dates. (Note that U-M Dental students have different dates.)
- Fall / Winter semesters: September 10 (enrollment now closed)
- Fall semester: September 10 (enrollment now closed)
- Winter semester: January 20
- Spring or Spring / Summer terms: May 10
- Summer term: July 10
Claims should be reported within 30 days from occurrence or as soon as it is reasonably possible.
Claim forms with full instructions are available online at Dewar Insurance. Forms should be completed and submitted as follows:
- The student's doctor should complete the Student Medical Authorization Form and submit it by following instructions on the form.
- The student should complete their section of the The Student Information Release and then submit it to Wolverine Services, 2200 SAB, 515 E. Jefferson St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316.
Benefit payment will be made to the university to be credited to the student's account. U-M grants or scholarships will be credited back to the university. Benefits not required to settle the student's account with the University will be refunded to the student through the university.
For more information
UM-Ann Arbor Wolverine Services
2200 SAB, 515 E. Jefferson St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316
For claims (see instructions above)