UHS Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC) provides a student perspective to the Director of UHS, clinicians and other UHS staff, in order to advance the quality of health care and services provided for students, while educating students about UHS.
- Provide input to the Director and clinicians on issues concerning student health, such as accessibility, on-call hours, range of services, sensitivity to issues of culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation and gender identity, student fees, quality and general satisfaction.
- Make suggestions to, and engage in discussion with, clinicians and staff for enhancements to services and new program initiatives based on student input (which may include e-mail, forums, town hall meetings) regarding their wants and needs.
- Receive input from clinicians and staff regarding how we can best educate students.
- Discuss and recommend target issues for periodic UHS survey questionnaires to users.
- Develop programs to educate students about UHS, its services and important health care issues.
SHAC is composed of a group of both undergraduate and graduate members and strives to be representative of a diverse student population.
- Any U-M student is eligible to apply for membership! Member recruitment has ended for 2020-21, but please apply in a future year if interested!
- Members are selected based on the merits of their application and interest in the group. Prospective members will be voted upon by SHAC members.
- To remain on SHAC, members must not have more than one absence per semester; additional absences will be approved by the eboard.
- Membership is withdrawn by alerting members of the group of the withdrawal, or by failing to meet attendance requirements without a valid explanation (as determined by the eboard).
SHAC is chaired by three student coordinators.
SHAC meets monthly on Monday nights from 5:30-7 during the academic year from September through April. Special meetings may be called at the request of the UHS Director or members of SHAC.
We are currently accepting applications for new members.
If you would like to apply, go to https://forms.gle/gUs4tfdcraUHCH6j9. The application deadline is October 3rd.