Tips for Academic Success if You are Sick or Injured

As a student, you lead a busy life with no time to be out. And if you are out, your ability to do well in school may be compromised depending on the length and severity of the illness or injury. Here are recommendations to stay on top of your studies and recover. 

About missed classes:

  • As soon as you realize you will miss a class or lab, notify your professor or instructor. 
  • Undergraduate U-M students can use the LSA Illness Reporting website to help facilitate initial communication with your instructors. Your instructors and advisors will be notified regarding the date you started to miss classes. This notification does not constitute an excused absence. You are expected to, as soon as you can,  contact each of your instructors regarding options for making up missed work and possibly providing documentation of their absence, if required by individual instructors. 
    • For non-LSA students, the illness report goes to the student's instructors and respective advising office contact at their home school.
    • For LSA students, the illness report goes to the instructors and the academic advisor
    • If you missed multiple classes, or know that you will miss multiple classes, you can contact the Dean of Students Office at 734-764-7420 to discuss options for informing your faculty members about your absences.
    • UHS can provide a "Visit Verification / Medical Statement" (also known as a note or excuse), which most U-M instructors accept. And if you must drop a class for medical reasons, we may be able to provide documentation.

    To keep up, or catch up, with assignments:

    • Check the syllabus to be sure you know what is expected.
    • Contact a classmate and ask to make a copy of his/her notes for your review.
    • Ask your academic advisor's advice about keeping up. If you're not sure who your academic advisor is, you can see Academic Advising.
    • If you're lagging behind, contact your professor or instructor. Email or visit during office hours and explain what's happening, to the degree you feel comfortable doing so. Consider asking for an extension for any projects you are unable to complete on time.

      If you have a mobility impairment:

      • ​You can register for ParaTransit, a free door-to-door ride service for U-M students with mobility impairments who are pre-qualified through Services for Students with Disabilities.
      • If you need a wheelchair, you can rent one at Hometown Pharmacy, 734-747-8080, 2355 East Stadium Blvd #1, Ann Arbor.
      • If you need crutches or a cane, they can be purchased at UHS.You must first see a clinician to be assessed for your need and to receive an order. Clinic staff will then provide the crutches or cane along with instructions on proper use. Call 734-764-8320 for assistance.

      Too sick to move?

      You can call for Nurse Advice by Phone, day and night, which may save you a trip to UHS or the ER.

      If you live in a residence hall:

      • You can ask a friend to make arrangements to bring you food from the dining room. See Feel Better Meals
      • For questions or concerns about your food intake, you may call the Dining Services dietician at 734-647-2614 or send email to .
      • It's a good idea to let Housing staff and your parent/s know if you are ill. If you need assistance, contact the staff at your Community Center. 
      • If you are sick and work in food service, you should contact your supervisor.
      • Students who live in University Housing can request a ride to/from UHS from Housing Security by calling (734) 763-1131. And remember, you can call for Nurse Advice by Phone, which may save you a trip.

      If you live off-campus:

      • Consider letting someone know what's happening and ask for their help, maybe a friend, roommate or your parents.
      • You may want to use a shopping/delivery service (google "grocery shopping service ann arbor") or getting take-out meals from restaurants. 

      Most importantly, take good care of yourself: