University Health Service

under 21

As of January 1, 2018, the Minor in Possession (MIP) law has changed.  To better understand the legislation, please read below. This information does not serve as legal advice.  For free legal advice, U-M students may contact Student Legal Services at 734-763-9920.

The change does shift a first MIP from a misdemeanor to a civil infraction (this includes a fine without a required court appearance). A subsequent violation remains a misdemeanor.

The change in the MIP law does not legalize alcohol consumption by people who are under 21 or other crimes (e.g. carrying an open container of alcohol, having a fake ID). Any bodily alcohol content above .02 by someone underage is a violation of the MIP law.

The change in the MIP law does not eliminate all consequences, including those imposed by the university for a U-M student or by the Secretary of State.

This change does not impact the Medical Amnesty Law.

Information about alcohol infractions will be kept in the Michigan Secretary of State database and be shared with other states and vice versa.  This means that if a student has an alcohol infraction in another state and then is issued one in Michigan, the Michigan infraction can be considered a second infraction and be escalated to a misdemeanor crime.

U-M students will still be held accountable under the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities through the Office of Student Conflict Resolution and/or the Community Living at Michigan (PDF) standards for University Housing residents. Students found responsible or voluntarily accepting responsibility for violations of university policy will still be required to participate in educational and restorative measures.

For more information on alcohol and other drug laws, see What You Need to Know about Laws, Policies and Ordinances involving Alcohol and Other Drugs.