UHS provides drug testing using a urine sample for the following substances:
- Cannabinoids (cannabis and cannabis-related products)
- Opiates (hydrocodone, oxycodone, oxycontin, heroin, etc.)
Our test can confirm the presence or absence of a substance, but it cannot specify the amount of a substance that is present.
This test may be appropriate for:
- Non-court ordered testing (for example, your parent or job requested it)
- Court-ordered tests
This test would NOT be appropriate:
- If you need to test for any other substance such as alcohol. Instead you could see a UHS health care provider by appointment to order that specific test. See How to Get Health Care at UHS, or see Other Resources for Drug Testing below.
- If you need documentation of the amount of a substance that is present (our test cannot provide that)
- If you need "Chain of Custody" procedures -- If you need this type of testing, we advise you to contact your requestor to receive more information about where to go
- If you want to use your own kit
To arrange a test:
Please schedule an appointment - see How to Get Health Care at UHS.
At your appointment:
Staff will ask you to empty your pockets and place belongings outside the bathroom. You will be directed to a restroom and provided a specimen cup. You may not wash your hands or flush the toilet before returning the urine specimen to the staff. Staff will then take the specimen to the UHS laboratory for processing.
Getting your test results:
Results are typically ready within 24 hours. If you are tested on a Friday, your results should be available on the following Monday.
To get results via the Patient Portal (you must have an account):
- Note that results delivered via the portal are not considered official documentation
- Results will be automatically delivered via the portal 14 days after testing
- To get results sooner, please call 734-764-8320 or send a portal message to a health care provider that you have seen before, and a nurse will respond
To get a copy of the test result:
- If you want UHS to send your test result to someone else, you will be asked to complete a request form when you are tested
- Otherwise please make a request for Health Records
All patients are responsible for paying the cost at the time of their visit. The health service fee included in students’ tuition does not cover this test. Most insurance companies do not cover this cost. Non-students may be charged an additional office visit fee.
Other resources for alcohol and other drug testing:
U-M Police Department offers a free alcohol test for U-M students 24 hours/day at 1239 Kipke Dr. You may call (734) 763-1131 to inquire; an order is necessary and you must bring it for testing.
Drug & Alcohol Random Testing (DART) Program through Washtenaw County provides testing for a fee.
Quest Diagnostics (phone 800-377-8440) is a private company that provides testing for a fee.