Last update: August, 2020
The University of Michigan (U-M) privacy statement recognizes the value of privacy for the university community and its guests.
This privacy notice provides more specific information on how the University Health Service (UHS) COVID-19 test result reporting form (https://uhs.umich.edu/covid-results) collects and processes your personal information.
The notice applies to our practices for gathering and disseminating information related to the UHS COVID-19 test result reporting form (“we”, “us”, or “our”) and is meant to provide you an overview of our practices when collecting and processing personal information.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We collect personal information automatically when you authenticate using your U-M credentials and when you use the UHS COVID-19 test result reporting form.
WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you use the UHS COVID-19 test result reporting form, we collect the following personal information:
- User Information: name, uniqname, UMID, U-M campus, date of birth, city of residence
- Contact information: phone number
- Testing information: month and year of test, type of test (PCR or antibody), test result (positive, negative, or unknown), location of testing site
- Preference information: indication of whether you can be contacted
- Logging information: date and time of completing the form.
This information is retained for five years from the date of collection.
HOW THIS INFORMATION IS USED
We use identifiable information to:
- Produce reporting for university administration
- Monitor indicators of potential outbreaks
We use de-identified and/or aggregated information to:
- Monitor trends in aggregate test result reports over time, measure the overall burden of illness in our community, and provide an early indicator of potential outbreaks. The information helps target resources for testing, support, and mitigation.
The use of this data is governed by university policy and the U-M Data Governance framework, among other methods. Data requests and use cases will only be considered if they are related to public health. Such requests will be directed for approval by a U-M committee with faculty, staff, and student representation, led by the Vice President of Information Technology and Chief Information Officer.
WITH WHOM IS THIS DATA SHARED?
We do not sell or rent your personal information. Individually identifiable information may be shared as required by law, as well as with university partners, external service providers, or government agencies to aid with COVID-19 response efforts.
WHAT CHOICES YOU CAN MAKE ABOUT YOUR INFORMATION
If you wish to opt out of data collection, you should not complete the UHS COVID-19 test result reporting form.
HOW INFORMATION IS SECURED
The University of Michigan recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we endeavor to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The University of Michigan strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
PRIVACY NOTICE CHANGES
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
WHO TO CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact University Health Service (UHS) at ContactUHS@umich.edu or the U-M Privacy Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109.