FAQs about COVID-19 Vaccination Records

Not sure where your vaccination record is? Here are helpful tips.

Why is the COVID-19 vaccination record important?

The vaccination record (frequently a card) provides evidence that you’ve been vaccinated. You may be required to show evidence that you’ve been vaccinated, including vaccine lot numbers. For example, U-M waives the mandatory testing requirement for students who provide evidence of being fully vaccinated, evidence of lot numbers is required. See:

What should I do with my vaccination card?

  • Keep your vaccination card in a safe place in case you need it for future use. 
  • Consider scanning or taking a picture of your vaccination card as a back-up.
  • Take your card to your second vaccination appointment, if you have one, so it can be updated (otherwise, there’s typically no reason to carry it with you).

What if I lost my card, or didn’t receive a card?

You may need to request your records. 

To request OFFICIAL records (check to make sure that records will include all information including vaccine lot numbers): 

  • Contact your vaccination provider to ask how you can get a card or other official record.

    • If you were vaccinated through Michigan Medicine or UHS:

      • You can request records through your MyUofMHealth patient portal account (the fastest way):

        1. Login to your portal account at MyUofMHealth.org
        2. Click on Menu
        3. Under the My Record tab, click on Medical Record Request Form
        4. You can complete this form for Michigan Medicine, or click on the link for UHS record request form (2nd line under Medical Record Request)
        5. Fill out information
        6. Click Submit Request
      • Or you can request records otherwise from:
  • If you were vaccinated in the state of Michigan, but not at UHS or Michigan Medicine, and are a U-M student or other UHS patient, you can request a vaccination report from the state vaccination record database (MCIR) through UHS. Follow instructions at Health Records > To Get Records from UHS
  • If you cannot contact your vaccination provider directly, contact your state health department’s immunization information system (IIS). You can find state IIS information on the CDC website. Vaccination providers are required to report COVID-19 vaccinations to their IIS and related systems.

To get UNOFFICIAL records, which may not include full information such as lot numbers:

  • If you were vaccinated through UHS or Michigan Medicine and have a MyUofMHealth patient portal account, your portal account can display your vaccination record but it won’t include lot numbers. 
  • If you enrolled in v-safe after your first vaccine dose, you can access your vaccination information using those tools. V-safe displays brand and date of vaccine administration but won’t include lot numbers. 

For more information see: