Emergency / After Hours
- Alcohol and other types of poisoning
- Any condition that feels life threatening
- Massive bleeding
- Major injuries, such as a bone protruding thruogh skin
- Severe difficulty breathing
- Unconsciousness, unable to be roused
Unsure what to do? UHS offers medical advice by phone, day and night. This may save a trip to UHS, the ER or an urgent care facility. See Medical Advice by Phone.
Minor emergencies: UHS can manage minor emergencies (e.g. some cuts or broken bones). In case of minor emergency during open hours, call 734-764-8320 or go directly to UHS.
In an emergency:* Call 911 or go directly to the nearest hospital emergency room. The UM Hospital Emergency Department is located at 1500 E. Medical Center Drive in Ann Arbor (on the medical campus).
Mental health emergencies:* You may wish to call or visit UM Psychiatry Emergency Service (734-996-4747) - emergency walk-in consultation and phone service available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Local urgent care facilities:* If your condition is not life-threatening and UHS is closed, you may want to go to an urgent care facility in Ann Arbor instead of an emergency room:
- Advance Urgent Care & Walk-In Clinic (accepts Premier Care):
1785 West Stadium Blvd, Ann Arbor. Phone 734-995-8888. Hours (verify before going): 9 AM - 9 PM 7 days per week.
- 140 S. Industrial Drive, Saline, MI. Phone 734-316-2268. Hours (verify before going): 9 AM - 9 PM, 7 days per week.
- IHA After Hours Care, 2090 Commonwealth, Ann Arbor, MI. Phone 734-995-0308. Hours (verify before going): Monday-Friday 5 - 9 PM, Saturday and Sunday 9 AM - 5 PM.
- Ann Arbor Urgent Care, 1000 E. Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI. Phone 734-769-3333. Hours (verify before going): Monday-Friday 8 AM - 10 PM, Saturday and Sunday 8 AM - 8 PM.
- St Joseph Mercy Maple Urgent Care, 501 N. Maple Road, Ann Arbor, MI. Phone 734-327-3933. Hours (verify before going): Monday-Friday 8 AM - 8 PM every day except Christmas, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day.
- Premier Medicine, 5958 Canton Center Road, Canton, MI. Phone 734-454-5454. Hours (verify before going): Monday-Friday 9 AM - 8 PM, Saturday and Sunday 10 AM - 4 PM. Note: this site does not participate with Premier Care.
* Students are responsible for payment for any medical care received outside of UHS, including urgent care facilities, emergency rooms and ambulance services. These services are not covered by the health service fee.